November 5, 2008

O BA MA! O BA MA! O BA MA!

It happened. Thank God. Like the good, cynical liberal that I am I didn't want to believe he could pull it off for fear of being disappointed. But a well-deserved victory was his. President Elect Barack Hussein Obama.

It has been genuinely moving to see the responses of Americans, especially African Americans. I can't think of an election in my lifetime that has elicited so much passion and emotion from voters. Certainly not an election in any Western country anyway. As happy as I was that the ALP kicked Howard's Liberal arse last year, my joy came mostly from relief that Howard's reign was over, not out of excitement about a Rudd Labor Government. The Americans who voted Democrat, however, seemed to experience both kinds of joy. And it was overwhelming for some.

In news that hasn't made international headlines, a "top 5" agent wants to see my showreel (whoopee!) and my friend SD has had her online TV series idea optioned by a production company who want to pitch it to TV networks in the next couple of weeks! The lack of naval gazing over here in the film/TV industry is gratifying. Australia is so frustratingly slow. I was talking to a composer a few weeks ago and said that it is expected in Australia that a script should take 5 years to write and then financing takes another 5 years. Projects spend a lot of time hanging around in bottom drawers. He said what do people do with these films, ferment them??

First couple of days at work have been great. Think I'm going to really enjoy the job and CB and I will work well together. It's sometimes hard to know how you'll work with friends, and I had put a lot of pressure on myself in regards to not letting CB down, but now I know I'll be capable.

À bientôt...

No comments: