May 13, 2009

Having a crap week

And it started with something shit that happened in the final few hours of my otherwise fun trip to NYC on the weekend. But I'll start at the beginning...

Arrived in NYC, had to spend more than an hour in the immigration queue. At one stage someone left a bag unattended and the immigration security guards walked along the queue demanding "Does anyone have a green bag? Do you own a green bag?" before taking the offending item away (presumably to be destroyed).

Was chatting to a woman (Trisha, from Hertfordshire) in the queue and she asked if I wanted to share a cab. I convinced her to take the subway (it was 6pm on a Friday night, traffic in Manhattan would have been hellish)... but then I got on the wrong train and so it took twice as long as it should have! I was a bit embarrassed. Don't know why she was even listening to me to be honest - she could have caught a cab, I was too cheap!

However, I did see Keanu Reeves on the subway (Taking the A Train) He was with an odd looking skinny girl with long greasy hair who was wearing pyjamas and maniacally biting her nails (even worse than me!)

Arrived at our hotel, halfway between Times Square and Central Park on 7th Ave. Ben was already there. We went out for some nice pasta but, even though I was starving, the time difference fucked with my appetite and I was full after about 3 mouthfuls. Disappointing though coz it was really good!

Saturday I just wondered around, mostly in the East Village/Lower East Side. Saw another 2 actors (this guy from Sex and the City, and some guy who I know has been in a lot of sitcoms. Don't know his name) Ben and I thought we might go see a movie that night. We didn't. Just like at home!

Sunday we went to look at some locations for Ben's crazy-arse film project (he's shooting a trailer of Othello in New York. With a budget of $0) in Brooklyn. We got lost and wandered along some godawful industrial estate for hours. Literally I'd say we walked for 2 1/2 hours, trying to look out for a taxi (none), somewhere to eat (nowhere) or a metro station (nada). Then we walked through the Hasidic Jewish ghetto and were almost at our destination (ie: civilisation) when we finally hailed a taxi to take us up the last few blocks. It was worth it, I was so sick of walking. I even got a bit sunburned (sorry Mum!)

Monday Ben had a meeting (his first ever meeting) with his DOP, Zelmira. She was very nice, I liked her a lot. I went and bought a week's supply of Swedish fish (these awesome lollies, like undiluted raspberry cordial in chewable form. Keeping you buzzing for ages!) Then I realised that, although we'd checked out of the hotel, I'd left my favourite coat (seen by my regular readers in many photos on this blog) in the wardrobe. The coat also had a new brooch on the lapel, which my lovely friend Anna had bought me for Xmas and which had traveled around the world and back again through some dodgy postal system, only to (fortuitously) arrive in Melbourne when I was there! But the hotel claimed not to have my coat. Ben went and checked in our old room (another guest had checked in)... it wasn't in the wardrobe. It has gone, along with the brooch and (as I discovered upon my arrival home the next morning)... my keys. For my flat and office.

A shite start to the week, which so far hasn't improved.

This website is cheering me up somewhat though.

Also the fact that the prison asked me to "add bed linen" to the prison cells in post production!! What the fuck do they think we're making, Terminator 2??

No comments: