September 7, 2008

The good, the bad and the ugly

Jetlag is a total motherfucker. There's no 2 ways about it.

Usually I find coming to Europe the jetlag isn't all that bad, it's much worse going back to Aus, but this time I've been hit with the worst of both jetlag worlds. Not only can I not get to sleep at night but then I wake up AT 5:30 IN THE MORNING! Last night I managed 3 hours sleep then got up, pottered around, rang Ben (who I think would have preferred not to speak me in such an emotional and confused state) then eventually fell back asleep at 9am for an hour. 

So that's "the bad" (jetlag) and "the ugly" (me with 4 hours sleep)!

But there are two "goods", so it evens out.

Last night I was given my second surprise party in as many weeks! When I was a kid I longed for a surprise party. I threw surprise parties for 4 of my friends but never got one in return (I should add here that usually I organised my own party well in advance, so I guess a surprise one was never really an option!)

2 weeks ago CB and PC surprised me with a cocktail party (we called it a "chicks night" because "hens night" has unpleasant connotations!) Then last night, my sister and my other CB gave me another surprise party in London! It was quite funny, I'm clearly the most gullible person in the world. I had been out with my sister and she suggested we go back to her house for a while before having dinner with CB and she then proceeded to try to hold me there (without my knowledge) because the guests weren't arriving at CB's house for a while. She showed me all the dresses she'd been buying and a new jacket, she got changed, put on makeup, rearranged the contents of her handbag... and I didn't realise she was doing it on purpose. I politely (but unenthusiastically) looked at her clothes, patiently waited while she organised her bag, but then I whisked her away to the bus and we ended up being 20 mins early!

Sorry sis. But you did really well!

Had a lovely evening, but I did start to fade around 10pm, when CB started an argument about correct grammar vs slang. I think most people took that as their cue to leave!

I also looked at 2 places yesterday where I might move to. The first one was quite small, but I really liked the people, the second was huge but I didn't like the people as much (it wasn't that they were unpleasant, but I just didn't connect with them the way I did with the first group). Hopefully I'll hear back in the next couple of days and then I might know where I'm going to live! Keep your finger's crossed for the first one.

It's going to start warming up in London this week, it's been pretty much the same weather as Melbourne ever since I got here (18 and showers).

Will write soon. I promise I'll get into the every second day thing!

xxx Charlotte


No comments: