October 16, 2008

The art of rejection

The 2 rejection emails I got today (yes, another one since my last post) demonstrate, in my mind, how to write a rejection and how not to.

This is the nice rejection letter:

Dear Charlotte,

I have spoken with J and unfortunately I am afraid that we are not really in a position to offer you representation at the moment. Please do understand that we are a small agency with just 3 full time agents. We are very busy with the clients that we already look after and rarely can take on anyone new.

I’m terribly sorry to disappoint you but do encourage you to write to other agents who may be able to help you. If you do not know of it already, I would recommend ‘The Writer’s Handbook’ for advice and contact details.

Good luck and best wishes,

T
She offers some advice, lets me down gently but also offers some encouragement. Here is a shite rejection letter:

Dear Charlotte

Many thanks for your email. MA no longer works at ***. Unfortunately the Film and TV Agent’s here JC and GH are already considering a list of prospective clients and at present due to existing commitments and current heavy workload are unable to offer to meet with you.

I am sorry to be the bearer of disappointing news on this occasion. You can find full details about ***, our agents, who we represent and our submissions policy at www.***.co.uk

With kind regards
H
Not only is this clearly a form letter, but it sounds to me that they doth protest too much! They offer 3 excuses not to meet with me instead of just one! And then she has the cheek to send me to their website.

Note: I have removed the names of agents and the agencies. You probably figured that out for yourself if you're not a complete berk.

No comments: