October 27, 2008

A Vampire Weekend weekend

So I'd never heard of Vampire Weekend (because I'm embarrassingly uncool) but when SD asked if I'd like to go with her to a gig on Sun night I figured why not? Hell, I'm trying to make friends and see things in this crazy new town so there's no excuse to be anti-social (back home I had the excuse of Ben!) SD is an Aussie girl I've met through friends here who is in a similar situation to me - trying to make it in London. She's a TV writer and trying to do the same shite cold calling producers etc.

Anyway, the gig was great. They're a really fun band, playing up-beat, happy pop music. But there was a group in the centre-front of the crowd who were acting like hooligans at a football/soccer match - yelling out chants, pushing people over, throwing bottles onto the stage. It was really distracting, not to mention intimidating for the band no doubt. Security couldn't even throw them out because there were about 15 or 20 of them and they were right in the middle of the scrum. One of the bottles whizzed passed the keyboardists' head and almost smashed into a guitar that was propped up the back. Arseholes. And the weirdest thing is - the music is so happy! How could anyone be aggressive when listening to that??

It's amazing how embarrassed one can feel as an audience member if other audience members are acting like wankers. It feels like when your primary school teacher used to say the whole class would be punished for someone's bad behaviour.

I've been staying with P&T, who are my saviours. Had 3 options fall over today for places to stay until I move into Bethnal Green on the 15th. I'm going to a hotel tomorrow, because P&T have another friend coming over, then I might have to come back here. They say they don't mind and I hope that's true - I don't want to push it too much! I'm trying to be the best housemate ever (doing more than my share of washing up, for example!)

No comments: