February 15, 2009

Bushfires

I haven't written for a while, my apologies.

Partly it's because I've been in Truro, Cornwall, making a film with kids who have/had substance use problems. Although it went fantastically well, the young people were so enthusiastic and candid and creative, it was exhausting! I had internet access but no brain at the end of each day to write anything.

The main reason I haven't written though is because I found out a week ago that I know someone who died in the bushfires, Eva. And I don't know what to say. I didn't know Eva that well but she was a friend of one of my best friends, Petrea (one of the greatest people in the world), so I have spent some time with her over the last 7 years or so. I know Eva will be sorely missed by many people. Petrea and her friends have suffered enough tragedy for several lifetimes, and now they have to deal with yet another terrible loss. It's so hard to comprehend. I just hope you're all OK. And also those people who were close to Eva and her family who I don't know. Just. Fucking. Awful.

The bushfires have made all the headlines over here. In fact they were front page most days until the plane crash in NY. Just goes to show how the news media works - they obsess over one tragedy until another takes its place.

I hope you're all well and able to keep smiling through this hardship.

xxxxxx

No comments: