February 24, 2009

Ouchy ouchy ouchy

I did yoga last night. Ashtanga yoga, which I've never done before. It was hard. It hurt. Every one of my muscles is spasming and screaming in pain. Cleverly, I paid for 10 lessons upfront before I even tried the class, so now I HAVE to go back. If I'd only paid for one class I'm sure I would have found a myriad of excuses not to return. Excuses like "it hurts" and "I don't wanna go".

Saw some great theatre at the Barbican the other night, Shun Kin by Complicite and Setogaya Theatre. I really enjoyed it despite being extremely tired (this was Fri night, having worked 3 jobs all week!). The play had sub-titles, which at the start I was extremely annoyed about because it meant I couldn't close my eyes for just a little while... which is what I really wanted! Probably good in the end. I've heard of at least one staff member who was fired because they fell asleep during a show. The performance was in Japanese and was a strange tale about a spoilt, blind aristocrat and her servant/lover. The staging was amazing, using puppetry and mime and video and and incredible soundtrack. The Times gave it ****. I agree.

Seeing another play on Fri night, but this time I'm actually paying to see it! England People Very Nice is at the National Theatre and the play is set in Bethnal Green, my neighbourhood. It's been rather controversial, people have accused it of being racist, so I'll tell you what I think (my opinion is obviously the defining one).

Fliss and I also saw Confessions of a Shopaholic on the weekend - our brains were both dead after working so much and it was pretty good for a no-thinking-required, fluffy experience. Some surprisingly funny moments, but the main problem is that the lead character is quite annoying! Isla Fisher's performance gives her some charm but otherwise I just wanted to slap some sense into her. Not that I condone violence.

No comments: