October 3, 2009

Chapter 1: Edinburgh

iceandfire did the Edinburgh Fringe for the first time in August, taking our show Rendition Monologues for a one week run. I went up for 4 days.

The Edinburgh Fringe Festival was crazy. The festival itself was much as I expected - a similar vibe to the Adelaide Fringe (the 2nd biggest fringe in the world I believe) or the Melb Comedy Festival - but doing a show was exhausting. Constant promotion and plugging. You can't just build up to opening night and then relax once it's over. After opening night drinks you have to go back out there, with flyers, and hassle people to come to your show.

I think I found it especially hard because it's the first play that I've worked on (for more than one performance - iceandfire's outreach project usually only does one-off shows) where I wasn't creatively involved. So my job was to deal with the stress and promote the show but without getting any kind of adrenaline rush when the show went well. I wasn't onstage performing, or sitting in the audience enjoying a show that I directed and gauging the audience's reaction.

That said, the show did go pretty well. We got an average audience of 60 per show - compared with an average audience of about 6 for most shows - and we got a 5 star review from WhatsOnStage, plus a nice review in the Scotsman as well. Sadly the reviews came out the day before our last show, so not much time to bring in an audience! Oh well. That was part of the learning curve.

The other big lesson came from the rubbish PR company that we hired, who seemed to do absolutely nothing. Perhaps they did plenty, but they certainly didn't tell us about it. I sent them at least 6 emails asking them to be specific about who they had contacted with a press release and invited to opening night and they would always reply with vague responses like "We are talking to our contacts. Peace." I swear, he signed off every email with the word "peace". The company's only advice while we were actually there at the festival was to get the cast to go out to the cool bars and get photographed with celebrities! When I asked "why?" he said it was for the media. But why would the media care about a photo of 5 guys they don't know standing next to someone they maybe do?? Who is going to print that? These guys DIDN'T EVEN COME TO OUR OPENING NIGHT!! I was furious.

So we did get some OK media, but it all came from me. I didn't even know anyone in Edinburgh, that was why we hired a PR company. They got us one radio interview on local Edinburgh radio. We threatened to not pay the second half of their fee (not sure if Christine gave in eventually) but they STILL didn't produce any evidence that they had done anything. They said they had some but refused to hand it over. Wankers.

But next time we'll know better!

Email me if you want to know the name of the company so that you don't ever waste £1000.

No comments: