October 10, 2009

Thurs/Fri Update

Back on track now. Up to the present.

Thursday night I went to an event organised by BECTU, the media & entertainment union. It was a discussion on the future of TV drama in the UK, featuring two big names in British television, Charles Sturridge and Tony Garnett. They were both great - so eloquent and interesting. I also loved the fact that, although they were both very critical of how the TV networks are being managed over here (especially the BBC) they were also positive and hopeful about the future. Whenever I've been to similar events in Australia they would always end up being really depressing, all doom and gloom, but this was still inspirational despite the criticism and disappointment at the current climate. I wanted to talk to Charles Sturridge afterwards - it was a small, intimate atmosphere so I felt confident going to speak to him - but he seemed to disappear fairly quickly after the talk, unfortunately. I did meet some other good people though, including a director from Melbourne who has been working in TV here for about 7 years. She has offered to have coffee with me so that I can pick her brains. She works in factual but might still know some good people and be able to offer advice.

Was invited to 2 events last night - a party and a concert - and ended up piking on both of them! The concert was a composer I didn't know and it started to piss with rain just before I had to leave, so I cancelled (my friend had been given free tix, so I didn't screw her over too much!) and I'm blaming Chelsea for missing the party, because we skyped for over an hour! Although we all know that it's not actually Chelsea's fault, that I was glad for the excuse!

It's starting to cool down here although the weather is still generally pretty good. Some rain this week but it's supposed to be sunny the next few days. Global warming is doing wonders for London!

x

2 comments:

Phoebe said...

Great to know what you're up to again Charlotte! Sounds like the planets are aligning for you, as they say. Congrats on all the positive events that have been happening, I look forward to continue reading the George Chronicles... Also, I've FINALLY finished the music vid I've been working on for months, I'm going to email it to you xx

Charlotte said...

Your music video was excellent, let me know when you put it on youtube etc.