October 8, 2009

Chapters 5 & 6

So on to Chapter 5. A bit later than I promised. My new housemate is... Felicity! Yes, little sis has moved in. She finished at Arsenal in June then went on holiday for 4 weeks (to Spain - poor thing!) but when she got back she struggled to get a job. Being unemployed, I offered for her to move into our small room so she could avoid rent until she could afford it again. She has now been offered a job back at Arsenal, so she is working there until she goes back to Melbourne in December. Arsenal really needed her back, so Fliss is enjoying being the person who came to their rescue!

Chapter 6: My crap week. It started with my new bike being stolen... from inside my apartment building! Yes, the one Ben bought me for my birthday. It lasted 2 1/2 weeks. Bikes are just really hard to hold onto in London! I was so pissed off, am still really annoyed actually. I was enjoying riding my bike around. I put in a police report and everyone said to go and look at Brick Lane market, where a lot of stalls sell second hand bikes, but I haven't found it yet. *sigh*

Then the day after my bike got stolen I had the 11 hour shift from hell at the Barbican! In the whole time I've worked there I've never needed to call security or the medic, or even call the manager to sort out an issue, but I had to do all 3 on my last shift! I was looking after the cloakroom at a wedding and the patrons got SOOO drunk. They weren't allowed to take drinks outside while they smoked, but we had to tell them about every 5 minutes. They started sneaking drinks outside under their coats, in their jackets and bags. They only had to put it down for 3 minutes, but apparently that was too much to ask. One gentleman, upon being asked (by me) if he could please leave his drink inside said "What is this, the Third Reich?" To which I replied "Are you calling me a Nazi??"

Later in the evening, there was a fist fight between patrons (thus security was called), then some drunk guys picked up their mate and dropped him on a terracotta pot, knocking him out cold (medic) and my manager caught them doing cocaine OUTSIDE OFF THE PAVEMENT! So wrong. It was the longest shift of my life.

Then I got rejected by 2 agents. One of them, to be fair, liked me and my work but said to get back in touch when things had progressed further because he doesn't have any contacts he would consider useful to me at this stage in my career. AND my rent got taken out before I got paid by iceandfire, so in the middle of my crap week I had £18 in the bank! It's better now though.

I've just drawn a line under that week. Moving onwards and upwards. I hope.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is REALLY shitty about your bike!!! Sorry to hear! But I gotta admit, the Barbican story is pretty funny... :)